Tara Mataraza – Clean Eating Magazine
This salad unrolls all of the quintessential flavors of your favorite sushi platter. Crisp strips of nori soften with chewy brown rice, crunchy vegetables and plump pieces of crab. Silky avocado and a peppy wasabi vinaigrette top the deconstructed California roll on a bed of baby spinach.
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1 English cucumber, diced into 1/4-inch chunks
- 4 nori sheets, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced</li>
- 8 oz crab meat pieces (claw or jumbo lump)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk wasabi, soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix rice, cucumber, nori and carrot. Drizzle with wasabi-honey mixture and stir to combine. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in crab.
- Divide spinach evenly among serving bowls or plates and top each with rice-crab mixture and avocado.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup spinach, 1 1/2 heaping cups rice-crab mixture, 1/4 avocado): Calories: 360, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Omega-3s: 350 mg, Omega-6s: 930 mg, Carbs: 54 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 490 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg